Friday, January 1, 2010

i resolve


I've talked to a few people over the last month about New Year's Resolutions. Responses include "I resolve not to do a New Year's Resolutions," "to floss more," "to be more organized," and even "not put sugar in my coffee." All of these resolutions seem so...simple. It's as if we as humans need this renewing of the year, the changing of the seasons, and the reminder of time passing to reset ourselves. I myself look forward for the chance to take another look at my life and make some changes.

So what are these changes?, you may be wondering. I've narrowed the list down and made a few commitments. First, I commit to a regularly update this blog. Although it seems a simple resolution, amazingly I find it hard to write posts without thinking that my posts are inconsequential. Truthfully, they may be inconsequential to you as readers, but the focus and creative energy that updating this blog provides is irreplaceable.

Second, I resolve to write one letter weekly. Communication outside of the here and now has always been difficult for me. I often fail to call others when I should or send a note to someone when that uplifting message is really all they need. Writing a letter a week, I believe, will not only improve relationships, but it will also require me to organize my life in such a way that I make time for writing.

Third and finally, I want to pay more attention to me. When upset, I will examine why I'm feeling sad. When overwhelmed, I will say no. When in need of rest, I will take a nap. When I feel blessed, I will give more. It is when we love ourselves that we can better love others.

Happy New Year to you all and may your resolutions encourage and challenge you as the year progresses!

2 comments:

Sarah Meyer said...

I am especially excited about the letter writing resolution!!!! Thanks for blogging amanda!!!

Sarah said...

LOVE it. i made a list of my own resolutions on the airplane (in addition to the no sugar in my coffee one, duh.)-- thanks for the inspiration!!!