Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lots o' Anger

Anger Abstract Painting by John Biondo


You heard it...I'm angry.

I'm angry I'm angry I'm angry.

For what I can't say because of the public-ness (?) of this blog, BUT I can admit that I am angry!

Maybe this doesn't seem like such a big deal to you. And it probably shouldn't be. But alas, the anger is here, I feel it, and I must work through it. Now I'm not talking about petty anger at the person who just cut me off or getting frustrated because I forgot my book and notebook at home. This is a deep deep anger bordering on hatred. Some may say, wow...that's not very healthy. I say screw that! Anger is a feeling that I feel right now and I can't deny it, I can't throw it under the rug, I can't push it inside, not now, not anymore. Anger is not the problem, the problem is what people often do with their anger - this is what we might call "unhealthy." Here are some quotes on anger that I found while google searching, "quotes anger". I obviously did not include negative quotes about anger...but that's my choice and you can look them up if you want!

Anger ventilated often hurries toward forgiveness; and concealed often hardens into revenge. ~Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

"When angry, count to four. When very angry, swear." ~ Mark Twain

"Anger is only a natural reaction; one of the mind's ways of reacting to things that it perceives to be wrong. While anger can sometimes lead people to do shocking things, it can also be an instinct to show people that something isn't right."

"The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough." ~ Bede Jarrett

"Anyone can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person at the right time, and for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not within everyone's power and that is not easy."

Anger as an emotion, is perfectly natural, one should pay attention to that anger, and as my dear friend Jillian on The Biggest Loser states, "Feelings [anger] are your moral compass, we must pay attention to them because they tell us when something is wrong or out of place." It's ok to be angry! But it depends on what you do with your anger.

What do we do with our anger? More on that next time. My experiences don't help much in answering that question, but I have time to think and so do you...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

okay, i LOVE the painting that you chose to illustrate anger and i also love the mark twain quote.

and your blog in general.

prayers for whatever situation made you angry, amanda!!!

Jessica said...

I've noticed that something seems to be bothering you, but I've been reluctant to ask because we usually see each other in settings where there are many people around and I want to respect your privacy. Regardless, I hope you're all right and that you're able to work through this in a healthy way. I know about being angry; you're not alone.

Sarah Meyer said...

I also loved the Mark Twain quote!!! I can't wait to talk feelings with you soon this weekend. The last time I got really angry (yesterday) was when I realized that my mom had given homemade oreos to Mitchell and didn't send me any :-)

CrasmartistGirl said...

These are fantastic quotes! Anger can be a very useful emotion, a catalyst for action and change! Also makes for some fun artwork. One of my favorite ways to release anger is to use power tools. Haha. Not only to I get to make noise and chop up things, but I can be creative as well. I hope you talk to who you are angry at.